El Plata opened its doors in 1920. In those days the place was a luxurious concert hall with a casino and a restaurant. In 1934 it became La Conga; a taxi dance hall with a retinue of 40 hostess dancers.
It is in 1943 when it becomes a singing café, following the fashion that triumphed throughout Europe, with three performances a day, a devoted clientele and leading ladies who were like members of the family. Mary de Lis, Mayra and Marga Castillo were the last of its stars before El Plata finally closed its doors in 1992 for renovation.
It reopens its doors in 2008 with the same decoration and elements that made it famous from the beginning. The artistic direction rests in the hands of the Cinema Director Bigas Luna, who managed to recover the spirit and the identity of its better time of singing café with an Iberian touch. El Plata Cabaret is, currently the oldest active cabaret in Europe. In 2020 it will be 100 years old.